A lot has happened since the previous newsletter over a month ago. IPFS Thing took place in Brussels (opens new window), we created a Bluesky (opens new window) account, Brave released automatic NFT backups to IPFS (opens new window), content blocking can now be enabled in Kubo (opens new window), plus so much more! Read on to catch up with what’s happened in the ecosystem over the last few weeks.
# Recap: IPFS Thing 2023 🔄
The IPFS implementers community recently gathered in Brussels, Belgium for the second year of IPFS þing (opens new window), an annual gathering dedicated to advancing IPFS implementation. With 12 tracks and over 75 talks, demos, and sessions, the 5-day summit that occurred in April 2023 was a showcase of recent advances across IPFS, a forum for sharing needs from the protocol, and an opportunity to chart new directions for the future of IPFS.
# Brand New on IPFS ✨
- We’re excited to share that IPFS now has an official presence on Bluesky (opens new window)! We chose (opens new window)Bluesky because it shares many of the same values and goals that the IPFS ecosystem has. Additionally, they actively utilize IPLD and content addressing. Read more about it (opens new window)!
- Traditionally, content blocking within the IPFS ecosystem has been performed only at the IPFS gateway level and directly in Nginx, using something called the "Badbits denylist" — but now it can be enabled in Kubo & other tools in the IPFS stack too! Check out the blog post for more info. (opens new window)
- The IPFS DHT experienced a serious incident in the beginning of 2023, but users hardly noticed thanks to the power of a decentralized network. Read all about it in a new incident report! (opens new window)
- As mentioned above, IPFS recently joined a new social media network called Bluesky (opens new window) because it shares many of the same values that the IPFS ecosystem has. But what are those values exactly? You can read all about IPFS Principles in a new specs doc (opens new window) edited by Robin Berjon (opens new window).
- This update includes:
- Switch to
- Improved testing
- Trace Context support
- Removed legacy features
- Switch to
# Around the Ecosystem 🌎
- Brave announces automatic NFT backups and enhanced Filecoin support in Brave Wallet (opens new window)
- We're excited to share that the latest version of Brave’s web browser introduces automatic NFT backups to IPFS. Brave Wallet users can avoid the permanent loss of NFT metadata and gain peace of mind thanks to this new feature. Check it out! (opens new window)
- Introducing Lassie - a retrieval client for IPFS and Filecoin (opens new window)
- Lassie makes it easy to fetch your data from both the IPFS and Filecoin Network - it will find and fetch content over the best retrieval protocols available. Read more about it on the IPFS blog (opens new window)!
- IPFS Implementations: It’s Definitely A Thing (opens new window)
- In a new blog post, Robin Berjon (opens new window) talks about how the world of IPFS implementations has diversified greatly over the past 9 months: “Springtime in the distributed hemisphere and we are frolicking across fields of tantalizing IPFS flowers.” Read the entire blog post (opens new window)!
- IPFS Open Metaverse Base Camp Accelerator (opens new window)
- The latest cohort kicked-off on May 8, 2023. Co-delivered by Protocol Labs and Outlier Ventures, the program will run for 12 weeks and provide the teams in the cohort with the knowledge, networks, and capital they need to succeed as startups in Web3. Teams will pitch their products and services at Demo Day in August. Visit the website to learn more! (opens new window)
# IPFS Thing 2023 on YouTube 📺
All of the talks and presentations from this year’s gathering of the IPFS implementers community are now available on YouTube. If you weren’t able to attend, now is the perfect chance to catch up! Below you will find links to playlists for each content track:
- Opening & Keynotes (opens new window)
- Community & Governance (opens new window)
- Integrating IPFS (opens new window)
- Decentralized Compute & AI (opens new window)
- HTTP Gateways (opens new window)
- Content Routing (opens new window)
- Interplanetary Databases (opens new window)
- IPFS on the Web (opens new window)
- Data Transfer (opens new window)
- IPFS Deployments & Operators (opens new window)
- Measuring IPFS (opens new window)